FUOYE indefinite Closure: Police deny killings

The Ekiti Police Command on Wednesday debunked the claim that the police had killed some students of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti (FUOYE), who protested against epileptic power supply to the institution on Tuesday evening.

The protest had led to the suspension of the tour of the 16 local government areas by Mrs Bisi Fayemi, wife of Gov. Kayode Fayemi by one day while the university authorities had announced the indefinite closure of the school.

The institution’s authorities had proscribed the students’ union body while the tour of the local councils by the governor’s wife continues on Sept. 12.

DSP Caleb Ikechukwu, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the Command, said, however, that he was not aware of any death emanating from the students protests.

Ikechukwu described the death story in a statement he released in Ado-Ekiti as “baseless, unfounded and only intends to incite and create panic in the minds of the peace-loving people of Ekiti and the general public”.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Another injured FUOYE student dies

He noted that a weapon was recovered from one of the protesting students, adding that the quick intervention of the police at the scene prevented further damage to public and private properties.

“The police officers at the scene pacified the protesting students, removed the blockade they erected and dispersed them peacefully.

“However, the protesting students turned around in their numbers and took their plight to Her Excellency, Mrs. Bisi Fayemi, the wife of Gov. Kayode Fayemi, who was at an empowerment programme in the town.

“The protesting students suddenly became unruly, hostile and took laws into their hands, and vandalised the motorcade of the governor’s wife.

“The protesting students did not stop at that, they also assaulted the policemen who were at the scene to maintain law and order, and damaged police vehicle found at the scene.

“Investigation is ongoing to bring the perpetrators to book,” Ikechukwu said.